Thursday, June 23, 2005

My Mom Retired Today

For the past 15 years, my mom has taught pre-K and Headstart students at The Livingston School, a public elementary school in central New Jersey. We figured it out tonight, and she's taught about 800 students over the years. It's a pretty amazing thing, being a child's first teacher. She's the one who teaches them the ways of the world: their colors and shapes, their numbers, and all about how to play nice with the other kids. She teaches them about different cultures, and holidays, and helps them make really cool pet rocks.

My mom and I are very different, in almost every way possible, from politics to lifestyle to general approaches to living. And though we may often disagree, I can say with the utmost certainty that my mom is an amazing teacher. One of the best. I've seen it with my own eyes, and I've read the letters that her students and parents have written her over the years. Mothers of past students have begged her not to retire, so that their younger children might have "Mrs. B___" as their first teacher. But today was her last day, after a month of parties and send-offs by other teachers, the PTA and the Board of Education. I didn't want the day to pass without writing something commemorating such a special occasion. Hats off to you, mom. The Livingston School won't be the same without you next fall.
< A Legally Inclined Weblog >