Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Camp BarBri, and How Life Changes When You Least Expect It

So, not done after all.

It's a cruel joke of the law school experience that they hand you a diploma just a couple of days before they send you off to Camp BarBri for daily 3-7-hour lectures and lots of legal Mad Libs. For the unitiated, BarBri is the monopolistic bar review course that most students take before the bar exam. They give you a half-dozen or so 2-inch thick books, and send professors to lecture to you in a fill-in-the-blank format. Sort of reminscent of the teacher in Ferris Bueller's Day Off who says "Whaaaat economics? Anyone? Anyone? VOO-DOO economics..." Or something like that.

I'm a little rusty from not blogging the last month. Forgive me.

Pre-BarBri, law school graduation was one of the happiest days of my life. I've wanted to go to law school since I was 10 years old and watched the trial of my cousin's murderer, and it was just so cool to put on my cap and gown and walk across the stage and shake the dean's hand and get this giant diploma and smile a lot. For so long, I've been talking about wanting to go to law school, it feels a little surreal that it's actually over.

But the weeks following graduation have not been what I expected. My partner (of 3.5 years) and I split up. Well, really, she broke up with me, but that makes it sound more one-sided than it feels to me. She moved out of our home last week. It was and continues to be amicable and caring and complicated and often, sad.

One of the things I have learned in the last month is that I have great friends. They have taken care of me and fed me and taken me to do fun things (see below) and not-so-fun things (like buy all of the household items that were suddenly not in my household anymore). I feel comforted by their care, and by my ability to take care of myself. To write and draw and go to therapy and go to the grocery store and do all of the things that make me sane. I didn't do a lot of those things for a lot of this past year, and really, it made me a much grumpier person. At least inside.

I've also met some really great people at BarBri. Cram 250 of us in a big lecture hall, and well, I feel like we should just sing Kumbaya and have s'mores. The social-ness of it has been a blessing for me. Of course, I should probably be a little less social, and a little more, er, with the studying. With the breakup and moveout, I have not been so much about the studying.

I spent the weekend painting my new home, and rearranging, and thinking about how I wanted my home to feel. I also saw Melissa Ferrick and Holly Near in concert. If either is coming to your town/city/state/continent, go see them. They were inspirational in the very best sense of the word. And the concert was outdoors, which makes it better. Pretty much everything is better outdoors, in my mind. (Yes, that too.)

The other big thing that happened is my hard drive died. (When it rains, it pours, eh?) I got most of my files off of it, thanks to a computer guru at Temple that I will forever be indebted to. (Thank you, Dan.) I bought an iMac, which is cool, but weird when all of my PC-minded shortcuts don't work.

So that's the update for now. I'll write more later, just wanted to finally get something up.
< A Legally Inclined Weblog >