Monday, January 24, 2005

Ode to Snow in Mt. Airy

It snowed this weekend. A lot, about a foot -- the first snow we had all weekend. I put on my snow pants and jacket, my hat and mittens and scarf and made snow angels.

I live in Philadelphia, right on the edge of the city in a neighborhood called Mt. Airy. It's close enough to Center City that it has an urban feel but still far enough out that there are plenty of trees and grass and woods to wander around in. It's politically progressive, and well-integrated: lots of people of color and white people living next door to each other, straight couples and same-sex couples. Different religions, too. Not too many Republicans or single people, but still, some. I've lived here for about 18 months now, and it seems like everyone gets along. Someone once told me that Mt. Airy has the highest number of Jewish lesbian rabbis anywhere in the world. I think it's true. At least one lesbian rabbi lives on my block.

In this crazy, busy city, everyone had to slow down for the day: public transportation stopped running, snow too bad to drive. People just walking down the street, or shoveling out, or talking to their neighbors. It was idyllic: snow piled high and icicles hanging from houses.

I met my friend's neighbor while we were shoveling. He had a beagle and it was running and jumping through the snow; he looked like a bunny. It was cool.
< A Legally Inclined Weblog >