Monday, February 21, 2005

TV Anonymous

I've decided that I watch too much TV, and it's wasting my brain. I think that I might watch about 10-15 hours of television a week (or potentially, much more -- I don't have a good handle on this). And since I am still only averaging, on a good day, about 20-30 minutes of preparation for each class, I thought it was time to make a change, in the words of (ahem) Michael Jackson.

It's possible that I might be much more "productive" if I watch less TV. It's also possible that I will just find a new hobby to entertain myself. So this week, I am doing an experiment and am weaning myself. I have committted myself to only watching the following shows:

Monday: None
Tuesday: Judging Amy (1 hour)
Wednesday: Jack & Bobby, Law & Order (2 hours)
Thursday: The Apprentice (1 hour)
Friday: Joan of Arcadia (1 hour)
Saturday: None
Sunday: The L Word (1 hour)

That brings me to 6 hours a week -- less, actually, since I usually TiVo shows before I watch them, cutting an hour-long show down to a mere 43 minutes.

Since, according to TV-Turnoff Network, the average American watches more than 4 hours of TV a day, I figure I'm in good shape. Wow. That's more than 28 hours a week. That's almost like a full-time job. In any case, I'm just gearing up for TV-Turnoff Week, which, if you're wondering, will be held April 25-May 1.

I'll let you know if I become more productive, or just find something new (umm, blogging, anyone? ) to take up the slack.
< A Legally Inclined Weblog >