Monday, March 28, 2005

Dumb Move at Air America Radio

I don't often listen to Air America Radio, the newish progressive/lefty radio station. I prefer NPR's brainy/academic take on the world. But when I did, the only show I ever tuned into was Unfiltered, with morning hosts Lizz Winstead, Rachel Maddow and Chuck D. They often had interesting things to say and guests that you'd never find elsewhere. (Full disclosure: I know Rachel from my college days, though we have not spoken in more than a year.)

So I think it's a particularly sad commentary on the world today that Unfiltered is being canceled and replaced by... Jerry Springer. It's like a cruel joke.

Here's the (edited) email I sent to express my discontent:

To the corporate decisionmakers at Air America Radio:

It's a stupid move to cancel Unfiltered, and you should rethink it. Critical thinking skills are a scarcity in radio and television these days, and the hosts of Unfiltered have them. They have the ability to analyze and critique news and politics -- something that is increasingly rare.

Lizz Winstead's voice and commentary was a big loss for the airwaves when she left the show earlier this month. Rachel Maddow and Chuck D are voices of reason and sense in a world full of soundbites.

Lastly, at the risk of sounding essentialist, Unfiltered was, for once, a show with an openly lesbian host and -- shock! -- a man of color! -- instead of the typical buffet of straight white men. Replacing Unfiltered with Jerry Springer is a sad commentary about the future of media in the United States.

With the cancellation of Unfiltered, you've lost my ears.

If you're peeved, let the folks at Air America Radio know. Can't hurt.


< A Legally Inclined Weblog >