Thursday, February 24, 2005

The L Word: The New Facts of Life?

My best friend told me this morning that she thinks The L Word is "the new Facts of Life." Now, granted, this comes from the woman who used to belong to the Nancy McKeon Fan Club. But still, I think she's on to something.

For those of us who grew up in the '80s, the Facts of Life was the show. (I'm guessing that this really only applies to women; I don't know of any boys I grew up with who watched. My brothers were more of the Buck Rogers type. But if you're a guy, and you did watch FoL, I'd love to hear from you.) I mean, who didn't want to go to Eastland, the boarding school the show was set at, so they could be closer to Natalie, Jo, Blair and Tootie? So they could hang out at night, having pillow fights or studying for finals or sneaking out to go to the town bar, only to be almost expelled? Who didn't want a Mrs. Garett in their life, to give them advice, a quick scolding or knowing nod, or just wipe away tears? Who didn't secretly like the Eastland uniform, especially when Jo wore it, all casual with the tie loosened? (And who among us pre-lawyers didn't follow Blair studying for the LSAT, or going to Langley Law School?)

And, among us budding lesbians, who didn't have a huge crush on Blair or Jo? I didn't know it at the time, but Jo was my first crush. (Wait, strike that. Kristy McNichols in Little Darlings, circa 1980, was my first crush. But Jo was a close second.)

I know at least one other lesbian who loved Blair, who sadly (for me, at least, apparently not her) has turned into a radical Christian fundamentalist. She lists the virulently anti-gay, anti-woman, anti-choice, anti-non-Christian Focus on the Family group as an "Internet Favorite" on her website. (It's under the "My Story/My Favorites link.)

Sigh. Lisa, where did we go wrong? Was there not enough love? Was your mother overbearing? Your father absent?

Anyway, as for the L Word v. Facts of Life: the bottom line is, we used to want to go to Eastland so Natalie, Jo, Blair, Tootie and Mrs. G. would be our friends and we could have cool adventures. Now we want to go to L.A. so Shane, Bette, Tina, Alice and Dana can be our, err, friends, and we can have cool, err, adventures.


< A Legally Inclined Weblog >