Monday, February 28, 2005

Television Abstinence Update, Part Deux

I just flipped on my TV to see if TiVo had taped what it was supposed to and found out that Tony Danza had his own show. He was singing in a sort of Lawrence Welk-meets-Who's-the-Boss way. Totally weird.

Tony aside, my kiss-off to TV has gone so well that I'll be continuing it. That, and the fact that, in a money-saving we're-still-in-school-have-no-money frenzy, we had all of the cable stations cancelled except for basic broadcast. (Our hate for Comcast, home of the cable monopoly, also helped this process along.)

Basic cable suprisingly leaves us with lots of channels, except that instead of TNT, Lifetime, Bravo and ESPN, we get, umm, lots of Educational Access. And PBS. Which I am learning to love more and more every day.

The latest tally of television watching is something like 10 hours for the week; everything I had planned on watching, plus the Oscars and a little miscellaneous stuff (a la Tony Danza) thrown in.

But that doesn't mean I haven't already fried my television-watching brain.

Last night, during The L Word, I had a distinct memory of having already met (like, in real person) Sandra Bernhard. I was positive of it. But I haven't. Never. Not once.

As my best friend pointed out, I was thinking of the Will & Grace episode where they met Sandra Bernhard. On television. In a sit-com. Made-up. Not real. She's so cool and fun to hang out with that they put a bid in to buy her apartment (which they can't afford) because they want to be friends with her. Them. Not me. Me? I've never met Sandra Bernhard.

Television has fried my brain.
< A Legally Inclined Weblog >