Thursday, July 07, 2005

Blogging and the Non-Blog World, and Honesty

Over the past few days, I've been thinking a lot about spiritual honesty, and about what it means to be honest in my relationships. I try and act toward others the way I would want others to act toward me, and I am sometimes successful, and sometimes not.

But I find myself struggling with this idea of what it actually means to be honest, because it seems to be a much slippery concept than just truth-telling. It seems as if truth-telling is just a small part of honesty. I struggle with how much to tell people, and when, about my life, about who I am, about the decisions I am making about how to live my life.

To some extent, I struggle with that in this blog, so there might be a little bit of a plea for help here. People read what I've written, and sometimes, I get nice emails or comments or people say something to me in person about what I've written. I love that! But more often than not, I have no idea who exactly is reading. That means that there is often the possibility that people who read this blog know more about me, about what I think and who I am, then I have disclosed to them in our non-blog interactions. Sometimes, that's okay. But other times, that's a weird spot to be in, for both of us, I think.

I like writing here, and I plan to continue to do so. I also like when people write comments or emails, so if you are inclined to do so, please know that it will make me smile. And if you're reading, and we interact in the non-blog world, maybe you could let me know somehow that you're reading. We could even talk about it. I think it might make us closer, more connected, more honest. Which is how I'd like us to be.
< A Legally Inclined Weblog >