Monday, July 04, 2005

The Dark Underbelly: July and the Bar Exam

July's here, the long weekend almost gone, and well, it's about to get ugly. I slept in today, the first time in awhile that I've had a good night's sleep. I am grateful for that.

But when I awoke, it was July 4. 22 days away from the beginning of the bar exam. Whew. You know, I knew it would come. I knew there would come a day when it stopped being fun, when it stopped feeling like Camp BarBri, when it stopped feeling funny and entertaining like the big Kumbaya-fest of June. When I stopped celebrating my law school graduation and started realizing that to practice law, I actually need to pass the bar.

Nobody really tells you this outright, but many allude to it: July's when the rubber meets the road. Many people blow off studying in June, but nobody blows off studying in July. At least nobody who passes.

I no longer feel able to write funny little witticisms about BarBri; I just feel a little dark, and a lot scared. Sort of like first-year exams, multiplied by 10. My exam-studying process has always been a little... um, nontraditional, and I suppose that the bar will be no different. Since I do my best thinking in the shower, I thought maybe I would just move in there for the month. Here goes.
< A Legally Inclined Weblog >